Join LDS Preppers!
Survival Corner Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a LDS Cannery

1. Using a LDS Cannery

A surprisingly large percentage of the general populace and of the LDS Church have never canned dry-pack food at a cannery. During conversations with them, they frequently express trepidation about using the tools and facilities. Inevitably, that feeling exists because they haven't seen the simple process of canning food at the cannery.

Words usually don't encourage folks enough to overcome their reticence. Seeing is believing. Below are three videos that show the ease of the process, what it looks like in a cannery and how to use a canner at home.

Canning Milk at the LDS Cannery

Canning At Home - Using a Canner from the Cannery

Nancy Today Segment at the Cannery

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Northmountain For This Useful Post:

amotherwhoknows (04-18-2010), Knightstar (03-20-2010), Rizzo (03-28-2010), tkladvantage (03-20-2010)

3. Re: Using a LDS Cannery

I am one of the "general populace" that has never worked in a cannery. Mainly, because there isn't one that I've had access to. Are the LDS canneries specifically for church members or do they welcome like-minded preparedness folks from the public?

Trisatx

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009

Re: Using a LDS Cannery

A couple of years ago when I was in the process of getting my year supply I spent quite a bit of time at my local cannery.

I would go once a week and I became very familiar with dry canning and their procedures. It was easy to learn and became enjoyable to do. The church canneries are the best places to get your long term supplies and about the least expensive as well.

I would encourage you to go and have this experience, everyone there is nice and friendly too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tkladvantage For This Useful Post:

ssprepper (03-20-2010)

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Re: Using a LDS Cannery

Quote Originally Posted by TrisaTx View Post
    I am one of the "general populace" that has never worked in a cannery. Mainly, because there isn't one that I've had access to. Are the LDS canneries specifically for church members or do they welcome like-minded preparedness folks from the public?

Trisatx
    As far as I know, only LDS members are allowed to use the cannery. At least, thats how the one here in Mesa is. We also have to pay by check, and write the stake/ward on the check. No cash.

7. Re: Using a LDS Cannery

I live near the Portland, OR cannery. They allow anyone regardless of church membership to use their facility. Go to providentliving.org and you can see a Home Storage Ordersheet what lists products/prices. Fill this out on line and take it with you when you go (you will have to fill one out anyway) and it saves a little time. The people who work there are very nice and helpful. It is just a good experience and the products are excellent quality. On the provident living website they also have a list of cannery locations to help you contact the one closest to you!

8. Re: Using a LDS Cannery

It is my understanding non LDS folks can go when acommpanied by a LDS member. So the Answer is yes with a provisio.

9. Re: Using a LDS Cannery

Thanks to all who answered my question about non-LDS and the canneries. I did as suggested and checked www.providentliving.org, and they specifically state that the canneries are for LDS members only.

However, if someone is LDS in the Houston area and knows differently about the local facility and if you'd like to mentor a complete novice, please let me know.

Thanks again,
    Trisatx

+ Reply to Thread